What are women's rights in Islam?
In a truely Islamic society, women have the following rights in Islam:
- The right and duty to obtain education.
- The right to have their own independent property.
- The right to work to earn money if they need it or want it.
- Equality of reward for equal deeds.
- The right to express their opinion and be heard.
- The right to provisions from the husband for all her needs and more.
- The right to negotiate marriage terms of her choice.
- The right to obtain divorce from her husband, even on the grounds that she simply can't stand him. (please note that God deeply frowns upon divorce as a solution unless there is hardly any other alternative but it does not mean that men have more right to divorce their wives than women do.)
- The right to keep all her own money (she is not responsible to maintain any relations).
- The right to get sexual satisfaction from her husband.
- Custody of their children after divorce.
- To refuse any marriage that does not please them
Many more articles to follow. (March 2011)